give us a call
Toll Free: 866-781-7723
Local: 714-282-1242

Posts tagged "Special Education"

What is Mainstreaming?

You may have heard someone at an IEP meeting or another parent refer to something called mainstreaming, and wondered exactly what that is. "Mainstreaming" refers to placement of a child who receives special education services into the general education curriculum. For example, if a child is placed within a Special Day Class for most of the day, they might be "mainstreamed" into general education for an elective (like art or music) for a single period each day.

What Does "LRE" Really Mean?

You may have heard the term "LRE" in your IEP meetings, but not really understood what it stood for or what it meant. LRE stands for Least Restrictive Environment, and it is a very commonly used acronym in special education.

Anxiety Disorders and Special Education

Does your child meet the eligibility criteria for special education due to Anxiety? Anxiety affects as many as 6 million children. Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Social Phobia, Panic Disorder, Separation Anxiety Disorder and Selective Mutism are just few anxiety disorders that children struggle with every day. If your child suffers from Anxiety, he/she may qualify for special education and related services if their anxiety is impacting their education. Some common symptoms of anxiety in children are:

How to tell if Your School is making the Grade

Related services are not the only form of services available for special education students. No Child Left Behind creates options and services for students that are eligible as well as those who are not eligible for special education services. This federal act requires public schools to administer standardized testing to its student body to determine how each public school is progressing. Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) reports are then developed each year based on the test results. If a school fails to make progress than they are deemed to have not met their "AYP" for that year.

What Happens To Special Ed Services When I Move?

Many parents wonder what happens to the special education services for their children when they move. If you move within the same school district, just make sure to provide the school district with your new address, and also supply your child's IEP to the new school, if they are to attend a new home school.

My Child has ADHD, Now What?

ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) and its relative, ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) is characterized by lack of focus, restless, impulsive behaviors. For a child dealing with ADHD, school can be an extremely frustrating place. However, if your child has ADHD or even if your child has symptoms that seem like they might have ADHD, your child may qualify for special education services under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).

Is My Child Entitled to Door to Door Transportation?

Many Parents of children with disabilities question whether their child may be entitled to transportation provided by the school. The answer to this question is, as with all special education matters, that "it depends" on the unique needs of the child.

Is My Child Entitled to Transportation?

Many parents want their child to be transported to and from school. They advocate for such at their child's IEP meeting, and are told no by school districts. Why? Transportation is a related service under the Individuals With Disabilities in Education Act (IDEA). As such, there are certain standards associated with getting transportation.

Does My Child Have a Vision Problem?

Perfect vision does not simply mean that your child can see 20/20. Vision is the ability to take in visual information, process it, and understand what it means. It includes eyesight, tracking objects, how well the eyes work together, and focus. It includes color vision, depth perception, and peripheral vision. The standard eye chart in the doctor's office, or the school's routine vision screening only tests how well a child can recognize a black letter against a white background from 20 feet away. This is only the tip of the iceberg.

Passing the Buck: When Districts Don't Provide Proper Services

Many of us advocating for children with special education needs feel so passionate about what we do. As we have seen in our daily work, children that are provided the proper related services and supports in their special education programs have a greater chance of succeeding later in life. This not only benefits the child, but also the community as the children are less likely prone to crime, joblessness and homelessness.

Augustin Egelsee L.L.P.
8141 East Kaiser Boulevard
Suite 315
Anaheim Hills, CA 92808

Toll Free: 866-781-7723
Phone: 714-602-1498
Map & Directions

Give Us A Call

Toll Free: 866-781-7723
Local: 714-282-1231

We accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express.