give us a call
Toll Free: 866-781-7723
Local: 714-282-1242

Posts tagged "Orange County"

What Is "Child Find?"

"Child Find" is a concept that refers to the affirmative, ongoing obligation of states and local school districts to identify, locate, and evaluate all children with disabilities residing within the jurisdiction that either have or are suspected of having disabilities and need special education as a result of those disabilities. The Individuals With Disabilities In Education Act ("IDEA") includes a "child find" mandate that all children with special education needs be evaluated and that their needs be identified and special education services be provided where applicable.

What is a Resolution Session?

Either you as a parent or your advocate or attorney have filed for due process against the school district, and now you have gotten a notice from the school district requesting you attend a resolution session. There are a few things you should know, and a few tips regarding resolution session.

The Weight of Weighted Vests

Students diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorders or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) are sometimes recommended to wear weighted vests by their occupational therapists. For children eligible for special education services, these weighted vests coupled with related services, such as occupational therapy have been known to reduce certain types of hyperactive or sensory seeking behaviors. But why would a weighted vest have any effect on a child's behaviors?

Should I Sign This Settlement Agreement?

As a parent, you may have concerns regarding your child's education program. In line with these concerns, you may have expressed displeasure at an IEP meeting and felt that your concerns were not addressed. You may feel like your dealings on behalf of your child with the school district are always confrontational or fruitless. Whatever the circumstances, maybe you felt as though your only recourse was to file a due process complaint against the school district to protect your child's rights.

Stopping Bullying Could Be The Difference Between Life and Death

Recently, in Buffalo, NY, a 14 year old high school student committed suicide due to repeated instances of bullying by peers due to his sexual orientation. Following a criminal investigation which resulted in no charges filed against the perpetrators, the Williamsville Central School District suspended several teens suspected to have been involved. This tragic event is only the most recent in a long line of bullying instances across the United States.

What is Mainstreaming?

You may have heard someone at an IEP meeting or another parent refer to something called mainstreaming, and wondered exactly what that is. "Mainstreaming" refers to placement of a child who receives special education services into the general education curriculum. For example, if a child is placed within a Special Day Class for most of the day, they might be "mainstreamed" into general education for an elective (like art or music) for a single period each day.

What Does "LRE" Really Mean?

You may have heard the term "LRE" in your IEP meetings, but not really understood what it stood for or what it meant. LRE stands for Least Restrictive Environment, and it is a very commonly used acronym in special education.

What Happens To Special Ed Services When I Move?

Many parents wonder what happens to the special education services for their children when they move. If you move within the same school district, just make sure to provide the school district with your new address, and also supply your child's IEP to the new school, if they are to attend a new home school.

My Child has ADHD, Now What?

ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) and its relative, ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) is characterized by lack of focus, restless, impulsive behaviors. For a child dealing with ADHD, school can be an extremely frustrating place. However, if your child has ADHD or even if your child has symptoms that seem like they might have ADHD, your child may qualify for special education services under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).

Is My Child Entitled to Door to Door Transportation?

Many Parents of children with disabilities question whether their child may be entitled to transportation provided by the school. The answer to this question is, as with all special education matters, that "it depends" on the unique needs of the child.

Augustin Egelsee L.L.P.
8141 East Kaiser Boulevard
Suite 315
Anaheim Hills, CA 92808

Toll Free: 866-781-7723
Phone: 714-602-1498
Map & Directions

Give Us A Call

Toll Free: 866-781-7723
Local: 714-282-1231

We accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express.