give us a call
Toll Free: 866-781-7723
Local: 714-282-1242

Partial Consent to an IEP Document

Following an IEP meeting a parent may be left feeling as though some parts of the IEP are appropriate, while also believing that other parts of the IEP were not appropriately addressed. Can parents provide only partial consent to an IEP document, and if so, are school district's responsible for implementing the portions of the IEP that were consented to?

A school district responsible for the provision of special education to a disabled child shall seek to obtain informed consent from the parent of such child before providing special education and related services to the child. (20 U.S.C. § 1414(a)(1)(D)(i)(II); Ed. Code, § 56346, subd. (a).) If a parent consents to some but not all of a proposed program, the district must implement only those portions to which the parent has agreed: If the parent of the child consents in writing to the receipt of special education and related services for the child but does not consent to all of the components of the individualized education program, those components of the program to which the parent has consented shall be implemented so as not to delay providing instruction and services to the child. (Ed. Code, § 56346, subd. (e).)

Contact Our Office

Navigating the road of special education law can be difficult and confusing, if you have any questions about your child's special education placement or services, Contact us by email or call us at 714-602-1498 or 866-781-7723 (toll free) for more information.

We welcome your participation in the discussions on this blog. Feel free to comment on posts that interest you.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Augustin Egelsee L.L.P.
8141 East Kaiser Boulevard
Suite 315
Anaheim Hills, CA 92808

Toll Free: 866-781-7723
Phone: 714-602-1498
Map & Directions

Give Us A Call

Toll Free: 866-781-7723
Local: 714-282-1231

We accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express.