give us a call
Toll Free: 866-781-7723
Local: 714-282-1242

What Age Do I Start Thinking About Special Education Services?

When your child turns three years old their resident school district becomes the responsible entity for providing any necessary special education and related services. Local school districts have a duty under "Child Find" to seek out children with suspected disabilities, but as a parent you should not sit around and wait for this to happen. If you suspect your child has an applicable disability get them assessed by their local school district prior to turning three years old so services are in place by the time they turn three.

Especially if your child is a Regional Center client and already receiving services, do not wait for Regional Center to make the referral or your local district to initiate the assessment. Be proactive and request in writing that your school district assess your child and ensure your resident district provides an assessment plan within 15 days of your request. It is also important when making the request to let them know of any Regional Center services the child is currently receiving, any suspected or known disabilities/diagnoses, and provide any appropriate medical or Regional Center assessments to them so they can use them as part of their assessment.

Three to Four months prior to the child turning three is the perfect time to request an assessment as it gives the District time to generate an assessment plan, assess the child in all suspected areas of need and convene an IEP within the 60 day statutory time period (notwithstanding vacation days in excess of 5 days).

While it is the resident school district's duty to make sure your child receives a Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE), it is your duty to ensure this happens. So do not sit around and wait, request your child be assessed prior to turning three years old if you suspect they have a disability.

Contact Our Office

If you have any questions about your child being assessed or your child's special education services, Contact us by email or call us at 714-602-1498 or 866-781-7723 (toll free) for more information.

We welcome your participation in the discussions on this blog. Feel free to comment on posts that interest you.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Augustin Egelsee L.L.P.
8141 East Kaiser Boulevard
Suite 315
Anaheim Hills, CA 92808

Toll Free: 866-781-7723
Phone: 714-602-1498
Map & Directions

Give Us A Call

Toll Free: 866-781-7723
Local: 714-282-1231

We accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express.