give us a call
Toll Free: 866-781-7723
Local: 714-282-1242

How Long Is The School District Responsible?

You might be wondering when the school district becomes responsible for providing your child with a free and appropriate public education, or a FAPE. Both federal and state law provide that children who have been found eligible for special education services (or who are suspected to need such services), are entitled to receive them beginning at age 3. If your child has been receiving early intervention services prior to turning age 3 (through regional center or another organization), those services will be the responsibility of the school district beginning on your child's 3rd birthday.

If your child is not yet 3 years of age, but you suspect that your child might need some sort of Early Intervention Services, you can contact your local regional center for more information on such services.

You might also think that when your child turns 18, then the school district will cease to be responsible to provide your child a FAPE. That is actually not correct. Under both state and federal law, the school district is responsible to provide an appropriate education to your child until they have graduated from high school or until their 22nd birthday, whichever occurs first.

Whether your child is younger than 3, older than 22, or anywhere in between, the experienced attorneys at Augustin Egelsee LLP can provide advice as to appropriate placement and services for your child.

We welcome your participation in the discussions on this blog. Feel free to comment on posts that interest you.

Contact Our Office

Contact us by email or call us at 714-602-1498 or 866-781-7723 (toll free) for more information.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Augustin Egelsee L.L.P.
8141 East Kaiser Boulevard
Suite 315
Anaheim Hills, CA 92808

Toll Free: 866-781-7723
Phone: 714-602-1498
Map & Directions

Give Us A Call

Toll Free: 866-781-7723
Local: 714-282-1231

We accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express.